Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Baby Goat Sweater Patterns Part Two: The flat knit pattern.

Photobucket



Baby goat sweater knit flat

Size 8 needles, straight and DP or circular (for legs)
Bulky yarn or 2 strands worsted held together (I like to use two strands worsted and work through my stash of scraps since no one really cares what colour baby goat sweaters are as long as they work)

This pattern has two choices for the back end, chose one:

1.Tapered back end:
CO 36
K1, P1 rib 1 ½ inches
*K1fb, work in pattern to last stitch, k1fb
Work in pattern 1 row* repeat until 46 stitches
Go to +++ and proceed

2. Straight back end (pictured):
Cast on 46 stitches
Work in k1,p1 rib
Go to +++ and proceed

+++
Work in pattern until 6 (or 8) inches long
Inc 1 at each end of every row until 58 stitches
Knit until 10 (or 12) inches long
Work across 6 stitches, bind off 4, work until last 10, bind off 4 then knit last 6
Work back and forth on the 6 stitches before the bound off 4 until section is 3 inches long. Place stitches on holder or scrap yarn, cut or break yarn and move onto center section of 38 stitches. Work until 2 ½ inches. Work last 6 same as first.
Work next row in pattern, after first 6 stitches cast on 4 then pick up center section, cast on 4 and pick up last 6.
Work 2 rows in pattern, then decrease at both ends of every 3rd row until 48 stitches.
Knit next row*.
k2,p2 rib for 2 inches, bind off.
Pick up even number of stitches around leg holes (I picked up 22, legs are optional) and knit in k1,p1 rib to desired length, bind off.
Stitch center front from last increase to end of collar. Weave in ends.

*this is a turning row, up until this point your sweater doesn't really have to have an inside or outside but once you put in the turning row it makes the collar fold one direction. If you put legs on make sure check the fold of the collar before picking up stitches. Don't be like me and just put the legs on the inside of your sweater the first time you try to make the pattern, lol.

Photobucket

Photobucket

If you have any questions at all just ask and I will try to answer in the comments. If you have any suggestions or improvements in how this pattern is written please let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I saw your patterns on Ravelry. What breed goats are these? I've been trying to find something sized for Nigerian Dwarfs (kidding starts here on the 20th). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are mutts, mama is 75% Boer/25% Oberhasli and daddy is mini LaMancha (he is a bit bigger than most Nigerian Dwarfs, but no where near "full sized").

    You could probably just shorten the lengths by a bit and it would work fine. I'm not sure how big their babies are when they are born. If you try it let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy to find these! I'm knitting up some baby goat sweaters and thought I'd have to make up the pattern. :) Does the roll neck allow for the kid to grow? Or is it for extra warmth? Also, do you have any idea how much yarn you used per sweater?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's for both, I didn't need to use them more than a few days but being ribbed they are super stretchy. So if they get bigger you can fold the neck forward and get more coverage up on their neck.

    Mine figured out how to get out of them after about 4 days, hehe. But by then they didn't really need them that much anyway.

    I used scrap yarn, so I'm not sure how much I used. I may do a test knit later and actually see how much I use. But I have a sweater and a couple of hats I need to finish first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would these fit a miniature horse foal?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might, they are very stretchy, but you would probably want them to be a little longer as i have noticed that on my Nubian doeling (as she was bigger than my other kids) her little bum didn;t get covered as well as I would have liked.

      Delete