Friday, June 25, 2010

NO WHEY!!!!

Yes whey!!!

Whey is the stuff left behind after you take the solids out of milk to make cheese. I saved mine after I made Queso Blanco because someone told me I should totally try using it to replace the milk/water in my bread recipe next time I made bread. Well.... we are broke until payday, and out of bread. So i baked up a couple of loaves of English Muffin Bread.

I made one loaf two days ago to go with our meat loaf (YUM) but all my whey was frozen so I thawed it to make two loaves today.

All I can say is wow. I do not know why it would make the bread so soft and delicious compared to using milk/water but boy oh boy is that nice bread. It has a slightly golden hue to the bread, is soft and moist and toasts up to DIE for. I love this english muffin bread because it is super easy and anyone can make it. It's almost a batter bread/quick bread. it requires no kneading and is easy to mix up. But made with whey it is just soooo good!

I don't know why, but it's true, the whey made for a gosh darned fine loaf of bread. I need to freeze the stuff up into smaller containers so i have the right amount for cooking and don't have to thaw the whole gallon each time i want to make a loaf.

4 comments:

  1. The curds are frozen, awaiting a future in some spaghetti sauce, lol. And the bread with the whey will make DIVINE garlic toast.

    But now i am hungry for cottage cheese. lol.


    Every time i talk about whey I start thinking "Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet"... now I need to find out what a bloomin' tuffet is...

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuffet

    help ya out. :)

    ReplyDelete