Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tit for tat....

Tatting is my newest skill I am learning.

There are two kinds of tatting, shuttle tatting and needle tatting. Shuttle tatting is the original method, needle tatting is a more recent development in the art. I am needle tatting because it looks easier to me, hehe. tatting is a type of knotted lace work, if you had a grandma who made doilies or put fancy borders on pillow cases she might have done it with tatting.

I got some tatting needles and have made things with thread and with yarn. It's fairly simple but makes a complicated looking finished product. I think next year for Christmas folks will be getting tatted snowflakes in their Christmas cards, hehe!

First practice project following a pattern... it's edging for a collar made with crochet thread:

Photobucket

second project using a pattern, a snowflake using cheap worseted weight yarn:

Photobucket

The two together so you can see the difference in size:

Photobucket

I fiddled around with stuff to try making my own patterns and made some stuff for Tiff:

Photobucket

Photobucket

I am finishing up my holiday knitting, I have just one snood to finish, assuming I didn't totally screw it up (in which case i may just rip it all out and use the yarn for something else blarg!) then I have to finish the woven reins on my loom, then I can do more attempts at making tatting patterns.

I totally need a job at a yarn store, lol.

1 comment:

  1. wow, you have some patience and talent! great gifts. hope you're having fun with it and let us know how things turn out. have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete