Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Ugly soap.

I used my wooden soap forms that my father-in-law made for me. I made two test batches from recipes i made up myself with stuff I had on hand using a lye calculator to make sure i got the right amounts of everything. Both batches were sorta too small for my molds, so there is a note to make to myself. The first batch was about 1/3 what i need, the second was about 2/3 what i need.

The first batch has beeswax, goat milk, coconut oil, vegetable oil, shortening, lye and ground coffee. Second batch has same basic stuff, lower percentage of beeswax, and allspice instead of coffee. My bars are funky sizes and shapes because they are not from full enough soap molds and because I am still getting the hang of it. I also got impatient and took them out of the mold and cut them sooner than i should have.... because i was impatient and wanted to get a look at the inside of the soap. lol.

So, here is my ugly soap.

coffee hand soap:


allspice soap in the mold:


All of it cut and curing on the rack:


Now we just have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to see if it works, lol. I made a tiny test batch about 6 weeks ago and have been using it for a week now, it works pretty well. I didn't add anything extra so it has no scent but it works. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment