Saturday, April 4, 2009

OK, I am too excited about these....

... to wait to post the pictures.


So I guess if Mary and Marsha see them before they get them... oh well. Hehe. I'm just so delighted with how they turned out. Normally I am extremely patient and have all kinds of self control but my current state of mind has me wound tight and I'm not my usual self.

So Mary and Marsha, if you see this, these are my thank you gifts to you!


First, I took pictures of their stallions and made them into patterns. For Mary I took a picture I had taken of Ace when we were visiting her a while back, for Marsha I took a picture she had on her web page of her stallion Leo.

I've never used one of my scroll saw patterns for wood burning a design and it can be hard to transfer a detailed pattern onto a gourd because the pattern is flat and the gourd is round and lumpy. But I managed. Once I got the designs onto the gourds I wood burned them, then used leather dye and finished with paste wax. then I spent several hours adding the rim decorations, ripping them off in disgust, and doing them all over. I finally found a new treatment that I like, and this is what I ended up with:


A gourd bowl for Mary (the kind lady who has volunteered her time, driving skills, truck and horse trailer to drive me half way to Marsha's to pick up Brego) with her stallion Ace on the front:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



And a Gourd Trinket Box for Marsha with her stallion Leo on the front:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rim decoration is garden twine, dyed with leather dye, then unplyed with wood beads threaded randomly onto them before being wrapped on with artificial sinew.


I love the way they turned out. I'm going to make one for myself once I get Brego home and get a ton of pictures of him to make patterns out of. I hope they like them. It seems like such a small thing to do to thank them both.

Edit to add: WHOA! This is my 100th post!

No comments:

Post a Comment